Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Little Guide to Unhip, by K.J. Rigby

Little Guide to UnhipMany people strive to be cool, hip even.  In fact, hipsters are all the rage these days.  So, hipness, well, that is the goal for most people, places, things, and activities.  Sadly, there are some things that will just never, ever be hip.  This book is a guide to those things which are permanently, tragically, unhip.

While this book was written for a primarily British audience, I knew enough about British culture to know how smashingly brilliant (was that unhip?) it was.  This book is laugh out loud funny, which was a bit of a problem, since I was reading it in bed next to my Hubby at 2 am.  Luckily, he is a sound sleeper. 

Rigby wickedly relates her run ins with hipness, and unhipness as the case often is, with regard to the items on her top 50 list of things unhip, and I found myself relating to so many of her stories.  It made me feel a sense of camaraderie with every unhip person out there, knowing that in our communal uncoolness, there is something awesomely cool.  And I, for one, loved Leo Sayer as a teenager, I am just saying.

I think this book is perfect for Brits with a good sense of humor, and Americans with a good sense of adventure.  When you traverse into unfamiliar territory, there is always wikipedia, right?  This was a nice, light comic read, that left me giggling, and pondering the possibilities of an American equivalent.  I highly recommend it.

A review copy of this book was provided courtesy of the author and publisher.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the British sense of humour. :-) Our kids were raised on British TV and one even was accused once of having a British accent. 'Where are you from??' they would ask her. lol

    Gotta check out this book. Thanks. :-) I am SO unhip that I may actually be hip, in a weird sort of way. ;-) Well, my dogs think I'm hip. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review of a very entertaining book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, I do enjoy your reviews. i like the honesty, and the clear and concise way you present the Authors and their work. no gushing but very positive.

    I too enjoyed "Little Guide to Unhip" K.J. Rigby is one very talented author.
    soooz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all! It is always nice to know my reviews are reaching people! I am glad I am not just blathering away lol.

    ReplyDelete