Monday, August 30, 2010

With One Eye Open, by Polly Frost

With One Eye OpenPolly Frost is a humor writer, and in this collection of essays and short stories, she takes on writers who need to be reblocked, mommy bloggers, fancy dog breeders, people who try to diagnose everyone around them, and people who give monetary gifts to the arts, among many other things.

This book was a nice, breezy, entertaining read.  Polly Frost has silver tongued wit, and it shows brilliantly throughout this collection.  It takes a bit of time for some of the humor of these pieces to sink in, my personal favorite being the designer dog piece.  I see a lot of myself in several of the pieces Polly has written for this book, and if I can not laugh at myself, well what fun is life then really?

As a blogger myself, books like these, which seem to be much like a set of blogs, polished and put together as a collection of humorous essays and stories, give me hope that I may one day actually make that leap into published writing.  I think this is a book that will appeal to many writers, book enthusiasts, bloggers, and particularly women.  It was a quick, entertaining read, and well worth the time it took.

A review copy of this book was provided courtesy of the author and Crazy Book Tours.

Crazy Book Tours

No comments:

Post a Comment