Sunday, December 12, 2010

My Name is Memory, by Ann Brashares

My Name Is Memory [HC,2010]Daniel is different from most people, not in the fact that he has died and been born several times over the last thousand years, but in the fact that he remembers each life he has lived.  And in each life, he seeks out Sophia, the love of his life, every life.  In this lifetime, Sophia's soul resides in Lucy.  But will Daniel ever make her understand exactly how long he has loved her?

This whole book is based on the premise that reincarnation actually exists, so if the idea of that makes you uncomfortable, you might as well not even think about reading this book.  However, if you are either open to that idea, either as reality or a mere plotline, then you may want to give this book a try.  This is, at its heart, a love story, and one that is really beautifully and skillfully crafted.  Daniel and Sophia are the archetypal star crossed lovers, and a happy ending is never guaranteed for them.

I really enjoyed the book, but it was not one I could sit and read for long stretches of time.  I think the story was just a little too intense for that.  The ending left a lot of loose endings, and I am not sure if this will end up being a series.  I would like to know what happens with Daniel but only time will tell.  In the mean time, I really enjoyed the beauty of this book.

A touring review copy of this book was provided by Crazy Book Tours.

2 comments:

  1. Did this remind you at all of Time Traveler's Wife? Or totally different?

    Something about your review just gives me that vibe.

    I think I'd like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, I have not yet read The Time Travelers Wife, but I bet you would like this book, if the whole reincarnation thing does not bother you. I liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete