Saturday, July 30, 2011

Bad Girls of the Bible, by Liz Curtis Higgs

Bad Girls of the Bible and What We Can Learn from Them

Not every woman in the Bible was a woman seeking saintly status.  The Bible is chock fuller of sinners, prostitutes, adulterers, gossips, backtalkers, and all around bad girls.  Besides serving as some cautionary tales, what purpose could these bad girls serve in relation to our everyday lives?  There is actually quite a bit we can learn from these fallen women, and our ability to relate to them may surprise everyone, most of all ourselves.

I have to say, the title of the book is what drew me in.  I hoped it would be written a little tongue in cheek, and in my opinion it was.  I actually enjoyed how these classic "bad girl" tales were given modern day counterparts, to help readers better understand the situation.  At times, for those not biblical scholars, it is hard to interpret specific Bible stories within the appropriate historical and political context.  I liked that the vignettes did this, thus making the stories more relatable.

Is this a book for biblical scholars, probably not, but I found it to be both interesting and helpful to a lay population who was seeking to better relate to the Bible.  Women, often Christian women, feel like there is no way to recover or learn from mistakes they have made in their lives, and I find this book to be a great way to prove those sentiments invalid.  This book shows the healing and redemptive power of God's love and forgiveness, to even the baddest of girls.

I think this is a good book for Christian women, but I also think this book could be appealing to non-Christian readers as well.  It can help bridge the gap that religion can sometimes form, and show the difference between religion and faith when it comes to turning your life around.


I received a review copy of the book courtesy of the publisher. You can rate my review:


If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment