Friday, July 29, 2011

The Hypnotist, by M. J. Rose

The Hypnotist (The Reincarnationist)Art theft is big business, and Lucian Glass should know.  He is part of the FBI's crime team, and is investigating some strange happenings, all dealing with items called the Memory Tools. A group of reincarnationists believe that these tools will unlock the mysteries of past lives, and some will stop at nothing to find them.  When a large statue called Hypnos is discovered at the Met in New York, it becomes clear that different groups have different reasons for wanting the statue, and nothing will stand in their way of getting it.  The situation forces Lucian to deal with his very painful past.

I was concerned that I would be a little lost when reading this book, since it is the third in a series, but I must say, this is an excellent stand alone book.  The plot, while complex, is easy to follow, and draws the reader in to the storyline from the very beginning.  Past and present are woven together in such fluidity,  I never had difficulty seeing how all the pieces fit together, nor questioned the author's technique in changing time settings and narratives throughout the book.  It was like a delicate dance, and was executed perfectly.

I never felt as connected to the characters as I would have liked, but I think that this too served a purpose.  With a story this complex and intense, a reader cannot get too attached to any character; there just really is not time.  I certainly sympathized with many of the characters in the book, some major players and some minor.

I personally am skeptical about metaphysical topics, including reincarnation.  I thought the book did a nice job of including metaphysical elements in the story without being over the top.  Similarly, I know know little about the world of fine art, but its incorporation into the storyline was done in such a way that it made sense to me.  I think it is sheer brilliance when an author can take topics about which readers are unaware or uninterested and incorporate them into a storyline that still can draw that reader in to the book.  I am curious to read the other books in the series now.


I received a review copy courtesy of the author.


If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile.
My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment