Thursday, July 28, 2011

Lake Charles, by Ed Lynskey

Lake CharlesBrendan's life is fraught with trouble.  First, he wakes up after a drug fueled sex romp to find his lovely date, Ashley, dead in their motel room.  Then, on a fishing expedition, his twin sister goes missing.  As he and his friend Cobb look for her, they soon get in over their heads.  He had no idea all the secrets that Lake Charles held.

From the first page of this book, you know you are in for something different.  We meet the character of Ashley only through memories, and her ghostly visits to Brendan's dreams.  Yet her character is well developed throughout the book.  She gives clues throughout the plot to the truth of her death, a mystery Brendan is determined to unravel.

The plot is fast paced, and full of twists and turns.  At times, I had trouble seeing where the story was going, but I stuck it out and was rewarded in the end.  The story wraps up nicely, and even ends on a hopeful note, which I greatly appreciated after quite a but of darkness throughout the story.

Fans of thrillers and crime mysteries will appreciate this book.  I often lack the patience for such genres, desiring to know immediately who "dunnit", and I certainly felt that way with this one.  However, I am glad I was able to stick it out.



I received a review copy courtesy of the author.

If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile.
My Amazon Profile

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the read and review, Tiffany!

    Ed Lynskey

    ReplyDelete