Thursday, July 28, 2011

Prom and Prejudice, by Elizabeth Eulberg

Prom and PrejudiceAs a scholarship student at the exclusive Longbourn Academy, Lizzie has had a bit of a rough time.  She is never fully accepted by the other girls, with the exception of her roommate Jane and another scholarship student, Charlotte.  As all the girls at the academy get caught up in a whirlwind of prom madness, Lizze finds herself caught in a most unusual web with Will, a boy from the local boy's school, and Wick, an alluring bad boy with a questionable past.  Will Lizzie survive the prom madness, and the year at Longbourn?

I tend to dislike modern remakes of classic books, both in movie and in book form, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised at how well this adaptation turned out.  I think that the spunk and levelheadedness of Austen's Elizabeth Bennett shows through in the modern day Lizzie character, and I really liked watching the character develop.  The plot seemed to retain just enough of the original story to appeal to the classic literature reader, and enough of as original spin to make it appeal to a whole new generation of readers.

It is hard to make classic literature appealing to young adults, so it makes me happy to see this adaptation done so well.  The themes of dealing with school, being an outcast, and facing prom are relatable enough to appeal to teens, yet the book does not stoop to gimmicks such as overt pop culture references or an overabundance of teen slang; this makes the book have wider readership appeal.

All in all, I would recommend this book to young adult readers, but also to lovers of classic literature.  I think this is an adaptation any Austen fan can appreciate.



I received a review copy as part of the Amazon Vine program.

If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile.
My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment