Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hooking Up, by Jessica L. Degarmo

Hooking UpHeartbroken by the ending of her long term relationship, Caitlin takes advice from a magazine and has a one night stand.  But the man she hooked up with wants more.  He relentlessly pursues her, until she has no choice but to give in and see where it goes.  Never in her wildest dreams did she think her life would turn out the way it does, as she finds out shocking truths about the people she thought she knew, including herself.

Oh how I wish a book like this had crossed my path about 5 years ago.  How many women have found themselves in Caitlin's situation?  I know I had, at one point.  Which is why I think this book will speak to women everywhere.  Who has not had their heart broken?  Who has not done something somewhat stupid to cope with a heartbreak?  Who would not love for a perfect man to chase them?  Which is exactly why this book is so appealing, we have all been there, and we all still secretly long for a happy ending.

I really loved Caitlin's character.  She was open and vulnerable, not just about her romantic relationships, but with all the relationships, friend and family, in her life.  There is a little bit of Caitlin in all of us, I think, which is why we are so drawn to her.  And I love love LOVE her love interest, he is the kind of man most women dream of, and since we are a little like Caitlin, it is like we get the man as well.  It makes for a nice bit of daydreaming, for those who are so inclined.

While the book is sexy, and there is definitely sex in the story line, it is far from smutty.  Readers with more conservative values may be a tiny bit scandalized, but it is far from being gratuitous or profane.  I think the vast majority of readers will relate to the book, and enjoy it.  Some pretty heavy themes are covered, divorce, abuse, parental death, family secrets, things that so many of us have dealt with, which only adds to the book's appeal.  Brava Jessica, another spectacular novel.


I received a review copy courtesy of the author.
If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment