Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel, by Seth Grahame-Smith and Cliff Richards

Elizabeth Bennet and her sisters are weapons of mass destruction when it comes to taking out the undead.  The zombie scourge has taken over the lovely English countryside, and these girls will simply not stand for it.  Their father encourages them to fight the good fight, while their mother only wishes them to marry and become proper ladies.  When Eliza encounters Darcy, a formidible oponent in more ways than one, she is certain that she will not lose her head, which is less than can be said for the zombies she encounters.

I have long been an proponent of the monster mash up genre, particularly when it is done very very well.  The paperback version of this story is what started my love affair with this genre.  So, it is no surprise that I still really love the story, even in a different form.  I still find it incredibly clever, and innovative.

The part I disliked was that graphic portion of the book  I found it disappointing.  The Bennet sisters were hard to distinguish from each other in the illustrations, which made the reading a little clunky.  I think this would have most definitely benefitted from being in color as opposed to black and white.  I think a lot of the story, and it's impact, is lost in the nondescript drawings as they are.

This is a mixed bag for me.  I love the story, I just prefer it in novel form.  I created much better pictures in my own mind.




If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment