Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Predatory Kind, edited by Joe McKinney


Some readers just love to be scared.  Fear is a funny thing that way, how it can bring so much pleasure and so much dread all at the same time.  And our world is full of things for us to fear, predators both seen and unseen.

Once again, we have a book full of frighteningly fantastic short stories.  Why do I love horror shorties so much?  Because I can read a story, get scared silly, take a break, and start all over again with a new tale of terror.  And trust me, some of the stories in this book are that scary.  The book starts off with a bang, a story about how and why roadside memorials, which I find terribly creepy anyway, really come into being.

My favorite story in the book is titled How the Wind Spoke at Madaket, by Lucius Shepard.  In this tale, the wind is personified, and boy is he pissed.  We learn the dangerous power of the wind, and the reason behind the anger.  It had echos of "The Mist" by King, only we learn more about the reason behind the wind's destructive nature.  I loved it.

If you are a fan of horror, check this out, I think you will like it.  New monsters, new myths, new horror.


I received a review copy courtesy of the publisher.





If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment