Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Writing Fiction for Dummies, by Peter Economy

How many people dream of being a famous writer?  But how in the world do you get from plunking away on your laptop to actually getting published?  There are lots of things you need to do to get from point a to point b, and this book will tell you most of them.  Discussions on character development, plot, story line, and theme are just a few of the tools this book contains.

This was the first time I actually read one of the "for dummies" books, because I had a chance to get a good deal on it, and it pertained to an interest of mine.  Which, lets be honest, is probably why anyone would read any of these books.  No one reads about how to write fiction out of sheer curiosity.  And good thing, because they would probably be a little bored.  There is a reason I do not read much nonfiction, and that is because I find it incredibly boring, through no fault of its own.

I thought the book actually contained a ton of great information, was well organized, and easy to read or use as a resource.  It just is not my kind of book, which is absolutely not a flaw.  I am sure I will refer to this book  as a resource if I ever get around to writing.  A bit of the information regarding publishing was a little dated, since self publishing of e-books and small publishers have really changed the market over the past few years, but still the information was valuable, and hopefully will come in handy for me some day.

This book is from my personal library.




If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment