Monday, December 5, 2011

Sophie's Secret, by Nancy Rue


Sophie has a wild imagination.  Whether she is planning an archaeological dig in her back yard, or trying to determine if she was adopted, Sophie often lets her thoughts get the best of her, and lands herself in a lot of hot water.  So, what will happen when she learns the truth about a family secret?

This is the second book in a series of Christian middle grades literature about a girl who can sometimes have difficulties dealing with reality.  While I have not read the first book, I did find this book really engaging.  Sophie is a likeable character, one to whom I think many middle grades girls will relate.  Her struggles are not all that different from the ones we all had as kids.  

I liked that Sophie was an imperfect child, that she struggled with obedience, social interactions, and most of all her faith.  I think lots of girls in the target reading audience have similar difficulties, and it will be useful to watch how a literary character handles them.  I think the girls who read this book will see parts of Sophie in themselves.  This is the exact kind of book my niece (who is in 5th grade) would love.

All in all, I think this is a great book (and series) for middle grades readers.  It will probably appeal to girls more than boys.

This book is from my personal library.



If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment