Sunday, December 4, 2011

When the Heart Cries, by Cindy Woodsmall


Hannah has a secret that would shock her Old Order Amish family; she is in love with a Mennonite boy, and is considering leaving the Amish faith to marry him.  But when she is attacked by an English man, her world, her faith, and her family are rocked.  Her parents choose to not report the attack, but the consequences prove to be devastating to Hannah.

Call me a sap, but I typically prefer Amish novels to be a tiny bit lighter, and have a happier ending than this one.  I was actually a bit depressed reading this book.  I have read other Amish books that deal with heavy, serious topics, but still have a peaceful feeling to them.  I found no peace at all within this book.

From a character and plot standpoint, the book is solid and leaves me no room to criticize.  The characters are very well developed, particularly Hannah, and the scenes are written quite well.  Hannah's pain is palpable throughout the progression of the story.  And I like that the story touches on the differences between the Amish and Mennonite communities.  So, from a writing standpoint the book is excellent.  I personally just did not care for the story.

I received a review copy courtesy of the publisher.

 

If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment