Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Ignite, by Kaitlyn Davis

Kira has spent most of her high school career in boarding school in New York, but for her senior year, she will be attending a public school in Charleston.  When she starts school, she is befriended by a group of kids, including Luke, her new best friend.  Yet she finds herself drawn to Tristan, a bad boy is who is apparently Luke's biggest nemesis.  It quickly becomes apparent that there are more than high school cliques factoring into this mutual disdain between Luke and Tristan, but what exactly is going on, and how does Kira figure in to it all?

This book is a pretty standard young adult paranormal romance book.  Parts of it are quite original, particularly the concept of conduits harnessing the power of the sun to destroy vampires.  However, early in the book, I found it to be a bit too reminiscent of Twilight, in fact the cafeteria scene was like deja vu, with only the apple missing.  As someone who was not a huge Twilight fan, that made me skeptical of book at first.  Luckily, as the story unravels a bit more, the similarity to Twilight lessened, and I found myself quite interested in the story.

The author does a good job of establishing the romance between Kira and Tristan, as well as the conflict with Luke.  I really liked that Kira is an independent female character.  She does not depend on one of the men in her life to rescue her, she rescues herself instead.  I thought some of Kira's family issues were down played a bit, she was delivered some pretty harsh news that never really seems to get dealt with.  But perhaps that will come later in the series.

In general, I thought the book was better than average, in terms of plot, storyline, and character development.  My biggest complaint with this book was the lack of editing.  It is rife with grammar and spelling errors, confusing to/too, than/then, your/you're, die/dye.  It made me want to stop reading.  And before anyone points out that many of my reviews also have grammar and spelling errors, let me stop to remind you that book authors and editors get paid to produce error free work.  I review for free, and do not pay an editor to edit my work for errors.  When you expect people to pay money for the work you produce, you should strive to make it as close to perfection as possible.  I would highly suggest this book be re-edited, and then it could become a truly remarkable young adult paranormal romance.



If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment